The objective of this protocol would be to supply the public with info on:
(PDF, 578KB)(PDF, 87KB)
What's the Personal Education Number?
PEN is really a unique nine-digit identification number that may be designated through the Minister of your practice to persons within the following schools and institutions and regarding the next services:
- Students in BC K-12 public and independent schools
- Home trained children registered with BC public or independent schools
- Children taking part at the begining of learning programs, for example Strong Start programs
- Persons involved in a course of studies in an educational institution run by an initial nation (in the request from the first nation)
- Non-resident persons who're listening to advice from a contract between your Minister along with a school authority outdoors of BC, such as with a BC licensed offshore school program or even the Yukon
- Students in BC public publish-secondary institutions and
- Persons receiving or using to get, financial help given through the BC Student Assistance Program.
The PEN follows a student through their Early Learning, BC K-12 and publish secondary education.
Purposes of the private Education Number
Section 170.one of the (PDF, 578KB) particulars for which reasons PENs might be used. These uses are:
- identifying the quantity of the operating grant under section 106.3 or even the specific grant under section 106.4
- Making certain the effective and efficient utilization of grants or loans compensated under sections 114 and 115
- Identifying enrolment within an independent school and making certain the effective and efficient utilization of grants or loans compensated underneath the
- Researching and evaluating the potency of boards, francophone education government bodies and government bodies controlled by the Independent School Act (PDF, 87KB) and also the programs, courses and curricula shipped by them
- Giving the processes known to in section 168 (2) (d) and (d.1)
- Giving Provincial exams
- Giving graduation qualifications and transcripts
- Giving Provincial scholarship grants and bursaries
- Identifying the qualifications of persons to get compensation of expenses under section 11.2 from the (PDF, 87KB) or section 168.one of the School Act
- Enabling the help and processes of programs established through the ministry to supply educational services
- Performing research and record analysis relevant towards the transition of people to publish-secondary institutions.
Section 170.4 from the (PDF, 578KB) claims that PENS could also be used through the BC Student Assistance Program to:
- administer this program
- conduct research and record analysis associated with this program
- evaluate the potency of this program.
Distribution of knowledge
- Personal Education Amounts will never be launched over the telephone.
- Personal Education Amounts are just provided to the one who continues to be designated the PEN, that person’s current or future school (just in case of early sign ups), or even the person’s parent or protector when the individual is under 19 years old and not capable of consenting towards the disclosure (see sections 3(1) and (2) from the Freedom of knowledge and Protection of Privacy Regulation).
- Students must sign for his or her PEN to become launched through the Ministry by finishing students PEN request form, a transcript request form or perhaps a PSI options form. Within the situation of student younger than consent (16 years of age), parents or legal parents may complete a student PEN request form on their own child’s account.
Using PEN to conduct research and record analysis
As needed by s. 35 from the private information employed for research reasons is p-recognized in the earliest reasonable time.