The very first list, launched on Wednesday, The month of january 28, 2015, outlined 84 elementary schools at 65 percent or fewer capacity. In subsequent lists, the dpi has transformed. It's not obvious at this time around the precise quantity of schools threatened by of closure, but ETT has determined the following 48 elementary schools are that appears to be specific.
Our Schools. Our Towns.
The approach so far is problematic. Concentrating on utilization ignores that lots of these schools support students with special needs, provide alternate programs, and/or function as community modems.
One statistic cannot tell an entire story. Schools are frequently much more active than their utilization rate indicates. Schools have childcare spaces, spots for community conferences and social occasions, adult learning centres, sports facilities, and a whole lot.
Schools bring and communities together.
To focus on the special programs our schools offer and community programs they make possible, ETT has produced an account for each one of the 48 elementary schools around the TDSB’s list.
Learning Possibilities Index
The specific schools disproportionately modify the TDSB’s most vulnerable students.
Every 2 yrs, the TDSB creates a document known as the training Possibilities Index (LOI) [PDF]. The LOI uses census data to determine the exterior challenges facing students by analyzing a number of variables for each school. The variables include: family earnings levels, the proportion of households receiving social assistance, the proportion of households with low education, and also the proportion of lone parent families.
The LOI then combines the variables right into a single index and ranks the colleges from greatest to cheapest. The colleges using the greatest index are individuals in which the students face the finest exterior challenges for their learning.
- 19 from the elementary schools (40 percent) have been in the very best fifth from the LOI.
- 33 from the elementary schools (68 percent) have been in the very best 1 / 2 of the LOI.
- 22 from the elementary schools (45 percent) are members of the Model Schools for Inner Metropolitan areas Program.
These schools are in the center of the towns. They provide space for daycares, community conferences and social occasions, sports facilities, Parks and Entertainment programs and camps, worldwide language programs, settlement initiatives, plus much more.
- 23 from the elementary schools (48 percent) have childcare programs.
- 13 from the elementary schools (27 percent) have parent and family literacy centres.
- 37 from the elementary schools (77 percent) can be used for community programs. (Note: the dpi is probably inaccurate like a complete listing of community programs isn't necessarily available.)
Based on enrolment forecasts supplied by the TDSB, most the 48 elementary schools might find enrolment increase within the next two decades.
- 29 from the elementary schools (60 percent) have a utilization rate in excess of 65 percent in two decades.
- 35 from the elementary schools (73 percent) is going to be growing in two decades.
- 13 from the elementary schools (27 percent) is going to be over capacity.
- 114 elementary schools (24 percent) are presently over capacity (from the 473 total elementary schools).
Please be aware that these figures derive from the TDSB’s internal enrolment forecasts and therefore are susceptible to revision.
TDSB School Profiles
TDSB Learning Possibilities Index (LOI) [PDF]
Elementary/Junior Senior High School Enrolment, Capacity and Utilization Data (2004‐2034) [PDF]